Seven years ago…

Eleven years ago I was in my off-campus apartment in Harrisonburg, VA, getting ready for an early class. I always had early classes and I always watched the news while I got ready. I saw all the footage of the terrorist attacks live. There was no news about classes being cancelled, so I went. I’m pretty sure it was a theater class; I was going to minor in theater or costume design. We all just sat around, talking about what was going on.

Seven years ago today I was in the hospital, preparing to go in to emergency surgery with the understanding that I only had an hour to live. I’d already had a long history of seeing doctors out of town, but I was working in Northern Virginia and it didn’t make sense to drive all the way to Richmond for appointments. I found a local doctor that I liked a lot and I thought I was very lucky. Then I got sick. So sick that, while waiting in an exam room, a nurse told me I needed to keep quiet because I was scaring other patients. I tried to explain I was in so much pain, rationalizing that she wouldn’t tell a woman in labor to quiet down. The nurse nastily told me if I was in “that much pain” I should go to the ER.

I eventually saw the doctor and he had me admitted directly to the hospital, where I stayed for eleven days. Even seven years ago, eleven days was a long time to stay in the hospital. I didn’t really even have a diagnosis. They were fairly sure it was some reproductive issue, cancer probably. They could feel a mass when they did pelvic exams, which they did at every opportunity, it seemed.

I was relieved that it was cancer. Cancer was easier to explain, more socially acceptable, and had more support. Cancer also had an end point. After a certain number of years, you either were declared cured, or you were dead. Crohn’s disease was the opposite of all that and even seven years ago, at age 24, I was very tired of living that life.

A doctor came in on the morning of September 11, 2005. It was not my doctor. This was Sunday, so I got the on call doctor. He told me my white cell count was too high. I forget the number, but it was almost impossibly high, especially with all the antibiotics and other drugs they’d had me on for eleven days. They thought the mass has exploded inside me. They were going to rush me into surgery.

No, I can’t have surgery here, I said. I needed to go to Richmond, to see my surgeon, the doctor who had performed all my other abdominal surgeries.

The on call doctor told me that I wouldn’t make it to Richmond in time.

Richmond is an hour away by car.

I had an hour to live.

The on call doctor left the room to get everything ready. My mom and I were alone in my room. I figured they would be back to take me to surgery soon. Mom immediately called my dad. Then she called the Catholic church we belonged to and asked them to send the pastor over. I called my best friend, but got her voice mail. I didn’t leave a message. I didn’t want to leave her that message.

Time passed. More than an hour. I wasn’t dead, but I also had not seen one hospital employee in that time. When someone did show up, it was to put me on an ambulance for transport to Richmond. There was never any explanation. Mom was not allowed to ride in the ambulance with me, which I never understood. My parents drove down together. The ambulance got lost. Because I was strapped down, and facing backward, and on a ton of painkillers I could not navigate as well as I wanted. The time is fuzzy, but I know it took us over two hours, possibly even three. My parents were in my room by the time I got there. They, of course, were incredibly worried.

It was very late by the time I got to the hospital and the nurses got everything set up. They put me on the women’s specialty unit, which is where ladies go for hysterectomies and similar procedures. The unit was new, and set up to look like a hotel room. The nurses were amazing. The doctor came in and said I didn’t have reproductive cancer. At all. It was just my Crohn’s disease. He also told me I was on an incredibly high dose of painkillers and that he was going to correct that. I was really scared because I was still in a lot of pain, even on the high dose.

I did end up having surgery. I ended up having complications from that surgery. And I ended up spending three solid months in that second hospital and then at least one shorter trip back in the following month. It wasn’t easy. It’s still not easy. That wasn’t my first surgery and I don’t believe it will be my last.


I’m still alive. Every bad thing that happens (as a natural pessimistic, it’s a long list) is still better than honestly believing I had an hour to live. Every sucky day is the opportunity to try again for a better day in the future. Things change, but I’m still alive. That hasn’t changed.

9/11 is a weird day for me. I’m normally very happy, because I’m grateful to be alive in a way that really hits home. It is weird to feel happy on a day that is so somber for our nation. It’s a day to remember those who were lost. For me it’s a reminder that I’m lucky to be alive.

9 Comments on “Seven years ago…”

  1. Lara says:

    Good grief! Just reading this made me so nervous for you and your family. What a terrible experience!

    Well thank god you made it to Richmond and saw your decent doctor!
    I’m so sorry you’ve had to go through this. 9/11 is a terrible reminder. I was so busy thinking about NY that I didn’t realize it was the 3-month anniversary of my mom passing away.
    Yeah, I hate the number 11.

    • Carly says:

      It was definitely the most dramatic medical experience of my life, but I’ve had a bunch of smaller scary episodes. I’m sure you can relate to that sort of thing because of your care giving experience. Sometimes I just get used to stuff that lots of people would find scary. An easy example is shots, needles, and getting IVs. That’s like whatevs to me now. It wasn’t a good experience when it was happening to me, but I’ve come out of it better and it’s a good reminder for me now. Of course I had a positive outcome, overall.

      I am so sorry to hear about the anniversary of your mom’s passing. That just frickin’ compounds the shittiness of 9/11. Fully makes sense for you to hate 11.

  2. Colleen says:

    Wow, that’s very scary and you made me tear up reading this. I’m glad you’re alive. 🙂

  3. Kim says:

    …wow. I want to reach through my computer to give you another hug!

  4. […] “It’s a day to remember those who were lost. For me it’s a reminder that I’m lucky to be alive.”  Amazing post from Carly about a medical emergency on 9/11. […]

  5. jcerrone says:

    Wow. Carly! What was the reason you spent 3 months in the hospital? That crazy. I’m so glad they were wrong and you didn’t have just an hour to live.

  6. Whoa. What a story. I will be thinking of you tomorrow .. great to meet at MedX, too!

  7. Lisa M. Eckhart says:

    Wow Carlie! It just goes to show you how one day can make a difference!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s